A filling is a composite material or other resin used to close a hole (or cavity) in your tooth. This prevents bacteria from continuing to enter your tooth and stops the cavity from growing.
Before a filling, our dentist cleans and removes decay and damage from your tooth.
Fillings, however, are considered routine dental work, and our dentist will always ensure that the area is numb before working on your tooth!
Dental Filling Types
At Old Settlers Dental, we customize our treatment plans and dental filling options dependent on your oral health profile. And our dentist recommends filling types based on the following factors:
- The location and severity of the cavity or decay
- Your oral health history and current oral health assessment
- How a filling type enhances or detracts from your smile
There are many types of fillings, but at Old Settlers Dental, we generally choose one of the following:
- Tooth-colored fillings—these fillings are durable and natural looking because they match the shade of your teeth. Tooth-colored fillings work great on front teeth because there is no silver to detract from your smile.
- Amalgam fillings—these fillings are silver, very strong, and often recommended for back teeth because these teeth do most of the chewing.
Key reasons for cavity development include excessive sugar intake, improper or infrequent brushing/flossing, and skipping routine dental exams and cleanings.
In our Round Rock, TX dental office, we recommend dental cleanings twice per year to combat cavities and seeing our dentist at the first signs of pain. Untreated cavities can spread, cause infection, tooth loss, or require a root canal.
If you think you may have a cavity or if you’d like to schedule a routine exam or dental cleaning, contact our Round Rock, TX dental office today. We look forward to treating all your dental needs.
Related Services: Dental Fillings